Your Leaking House - An NACBI Affiliate
September 20, 2018, 09:36:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Watch Out Spammers, the Spam Squad is in Force!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: standing water in crawl space  (Read 1299 times)
Bill Warner
Administrator
Full Member NACBI

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2018, 11:40:30 AM »

The lack of quality of most construction these days is infuriating.  I overheard a building superintendent tell my client once that "We are a production builder. Everything can't be expected to be perfect..."

My response is WHY NOT? Folks are placing their lifetime investments into a property to call HOME! Why aren't they allowed to expect perfection or at least a standard of care that meets best practices? I won't even go into the minimalist building codes...

There is absolutely no reason your house/condo should be experiencing these issues had a minimum standard of care been met, let alone the building codes. Why did it take a home owner to initiate resolution of the builder and building officials? It's inexcusable.   

BC Warner Inspections
http://DaytonThermalinspection.com
Serving Dayton, Cincinnati, and all of west central Ohio
Ray Koenig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2018, 02:43:05 PM »

Bill, we're not alone. check out this article: https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/mar/11/why-are-britains-new-homes-built-so-badly

near the end:
Rob Godfrey says he and his partner bought a Bovis home more than three years ago “and had a lot of trouble, as many people do”. The couple sold it and a year later bought “the Oxford”, a four-bedroom house from Redrow, for £395,000 in Sittingbourne in Kent. He says he was reassured by the saleswoman that the company was a five-star builder (now four stars) and that three managers had to check and sign off before the property was handed over.

When Godfrey moved in the house had not been cleaned and the fuse box was left dangerously exposed, while the live earth wire was hanging down from the sink, he says. He has found more than 100 other “snags” and reckons he would have to take three weeks off to supervise the builder fixing them – on a nine-week-old home. “I was stupid to buy another new-build.”

Redrow admitted it “fell below our usual high standards in some areas” but said it had taken action to resolve the “small number of items”. It also said the overall customer satisfaction score for this development was 90%.

There seems to be this continuing illusion among home buyers that the government is protecting them with their inspections, occupancy permits, etc. Nothing can be farther from the truth.

I simply don't understand why people tolerate poor construction and don't say anything--even worse, why they rate the builder's performance as good. it just doesn't make sense. It's never going to change unless more people speak out like you and Rob Godfrey.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 02:50:46 PM by Ray Koenig » Logged

"When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?"
Carl Brown
Administrator
Full Member NACBI

I will see you there!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2018, 02:48:05 PM »

Seems like the insurance company's would catch on that they are also being fleeced.

But then again they just keep raising rates.

So we all get to pay.

If it was your house wouldn't you want it done right!
Bill Warner
Administrator
Full Member NACBI

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2018, 03:24:40 PM »

It's what I call the "good enough" mentality.  Translated into "I don't care enough to give it my best."
Unfortunately not isolated to just the building industry either.

Good enough for whom? The next person who also doesn't give a damn?

So while your eyes are still glazed in awe of this lipstick covered pig you've yet to move into, please be sure to give us a 5 star rating to prove we are "good enough" to fool the next chump in our sights...

BC Warner Inspections
Ray Koenig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2018, 03:50:11 AM »

customertalk.blogspot.com/2018/07/toothmans-folly.html

Carl Brown
Administrator
Full Member NACBI

I will see you there!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2018, 08:38:48 AM »

I have been meaning to ask how things are going.

Ray Koenig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2018, 10:37:53 AM »

I have been meaning to ask how things are going.

not well. the shenandoah county building official lied to us. he said that he was going to send a notice of violation to the builder--then, he didn't. instead, he "reached out" (his words) to the builder. the builder came up with a "fix"--flexible plastic pipe and a french drain--in lieu of sloping the ground away from the foundation walls at -5% for a minimum of 10 ft. needless to say, a french drain and flexible plastic pipe have nothing to do with the sloped ground that the building code specifies. nevertheless, the shenandoah county building official approved it. we're trying to figure out where to go from here. I'm thinking of going to the magistrate and requesting a restraining order to keep the builder, the county and the builder's engineer off our property.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 11:01:42 AM by Ray Koenig » Logged

Carl Brown
Administrator
Full Member NACBI

I will see you there!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2018, 10:50:12 AM »

They know what they have done is WRONG!

Bill Warner
Administrator
Full Member NACBI

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2018, 01:10:36 PM »

They know what they have done is WRONG!
Excatly…  but hand$ in pocket$ keep$ the circle jerk going...  Of cour$e they $ee nothing wrong with the in$talled $y$tem or propo$ed bandaid!  Hard to $ee pa$t all the green $$$$. And what do they care? It's not their property!

Sorry to hear this Ray. Hope you can get things turned around.

BC Warner Inspections
Bill Warner
Administrator
Full Member NACBI

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2018, 01:15:05 PM »

WOW!

Bet you dig deep enough, you'll find family ties between the builder and inspector...  Just sayin'  Wink

BC Warner Inspections
Ray Koenig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2018, 01:46:33 PM »

WOW!

Bet you dig deep enough, you'll find family ties between the builder and inspector...  Just sayin'  Wink

exactly!  Wink

Carl Brown
Administrator
Full Member NACBI

I will see you there!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2018, 02:09:46 PM »

Might not have to dig that deep some are not that smart!

Ray Koenig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2018, 03:27:06 PM »

Might not have to dig that deep some are not that smart!

exactly! especially in this neck of the woods!

Ray Koenig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2018, 08:00:49 AM »

Comments on the Lellock plan

1.   Contrary to what’s stated in “proposed improvement”, there are no physical barriers that prevent grading between 144 and 148 from conforming to the approved 2003 grading plan and R401.3.
2.   The Lellock plan does not conform to the letter or the intent of R401.3 of the Virginia Residential Building Code (see note 4 in “project notes”). The purpose of R401.3 is to direct runoff a minimum of 10 ft. away from foundation walls. The Lellock plan does not do this.
3.   The Lellock plan does not conform to the approved 2003 grading plan. The 2003 approved grading plan, with ground sloped away from foundation walls for a minimum of 10 ft., conforms to R401.3.
4.   The Lellock plan directs runoff to a french drain that is located next to the landscaped area that is approximately half the distance from the foundation wall as R401.3 requires. As conceived, runoff in the french drain will saturate soil around and under it and foundation walls. This violates both the letter and the intent of R401.3.
5.   Grading per R401.3 keeps runoff away from foundation walls by diverting it to a surface swale 10 ft. minimum from foundation walls. Runoff in a properly graded swale will intercept surface runoff and will not saturate soils near foundation walls as the Lellock plan will.
6.   The Lellock plan does not adequately address runoff from 144’s roof and landscaped area in front of 144. The surface swale shown in the approved 2003 grading plan will intercept runoff from 144’s roof and landscaping bed at the surface, 10 ft. away from 148’s foundation walls. A properly graded swale will keep the runoff 10 ft. away from foundation walls. This will conform to the letter and the intent of R401.3.
7.   The contributing drainage area in the Lellock plan doesn’t include 148’s roof.                       
8.   Considering the many instances in this development where buried flexible plastic pipes--with more fall than the 6” buried flexible plastic pipe in the Lellock plan will have--have dips and low spots, it’s inconceivable that the 6” buried flexible plastic pipe in the Lellock plan will have a uniform 1% (1/8” per ft.) grade. With a surface swale, it’s easy to see if it’s properly graded.
9.   What’s to prevent critters with nesting material from entering the outlet end of the 6” pipe and creating obstructions? With 90o connections, how will these obstructions be cleared without great difficulty? Obviously, this is not a problem with a surface swale.
10.   Will the trench be exposed? We didn't buy a house with a gravel trench running down the side. In fact, if we had seen a gravel trench running down the side yard, then we would have been alerted to the drainage problems here, and we probably wouldn’t have bought the house. Who, given the choice between a gravel trench or grass, would choose a gravel trench?
11.   The Lellock plan does not address the front and back of the house. Grading in neither the front nor the rear of the house conforms to the approved 2003 grading and drainage plan and R401.3. Further, judging from the amount of standing water in the front and rear of the crawl space, much of the runoff is coming in through the foundation walls in the front and the rear of the house.
12.   I disagree that the Lellock plan has the same drainage pattern as the approved 2003 grading and drainage plan. Obviously, concentrated drainage from a 6” pipe is not the same as drainage spread out in a 20 ft. wide swale. Depending where the outlet end of the 6” pipe is located (the Lellock plan is not specific), drainage intended for the stormwater management pond in the 2003 approved grading and drainage plan may not end up reaching the stormwater management pond with the Lellock plan.
13.   The house on 144 and the house on 148 are not parallel. The space between the houses widens from front to rear.
These partial comments address the overall unsuitability of the Lellock plan (comment #4 of “project notes” in the Lellock plan). The Lellock plan does not conform to the approved 2003 grading plans or R401.3 of the Virginia Residential Building Code.
Lot 148 should be regraded to conform to the 2003 approved grading plan and R401.3.
If the Lellock plan is withdrawn, as it should be, and Lot 148 is regraded to conform with the approved 2003 grading plan and R401.3, as it should be, then further comments that I have on the Lellock plan (e.g. soils data, soil borings’ locations, etc.) don’t need to be addressed.

Ray Koenig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2018, 07:54:51 AM »

customertalk.blogspot.com/2018/08/foundation-drainage-for-dummies.html

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: