Your Leaking House - An NACBI Affiliate
July 20, 2018, 04:42:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Watch Out Spammers, the Spam Squad is in Force!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: standing water in crawl space  (Read 568 times)
Bill Warner
Administrator
Full Member NACBI

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2018, 11:40:30 AM »

The lack of quality of most construction these days is infuriating.  I overheard a building superintendent tell my client once that "We are a production builder. Everything can't be expected to be perfect..."

My response is WHY NOT? Folks are placing their lifetime investments into a property to call HOME! Why aren't they allowed to expect perfection or at least a standard of care that meets best practices? I won't even go into the minimalist building codes...

There is absolutely no reason your house/condo should be experiencing these issues had a minimum standard of care been met, let alone the building codes. Why did it take a home owner to initiate resolution of the builder and building officials? It's inexcusable.   

BC Warner Inspections
http://DaytonThermalinspection.com
Serving Dayton, Cincinnati, and all of west central Ohio
Ray Koenig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2018, 02:43:05 PM »

Bill, we're not alone. check out this article: https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/mar/11/why-are-britains-new-homes-built-so-badly

near the end:
Rob Godfrey says he and his partner bought a Bovis home more than three years ago “and had a lot of trouble, as many people do”. The couple sold it and a year later bought “the Oxford”, a four-bedroom house from Redrow, for £395,000 in Sittingbourne in Kent. He says he was reassured by the saleswoman that the company was a five-star builder (now four stars) and that three managers had to check and sign off before the property was handed over.

When Godfrey moved in the house had not been cleaned and the fuse box was left dangerously exposed, while the live earth wire was hanging down from the sink, he says. He has found more than 100 other “snags” and reckons he would have to take three weeks off to supervise the builder fixing them – on a nine-week-old home. “I was stupid to buy another new-build.”

Redrow admitted it “fell below our usual high standards in some areas” but said it had taken action to resolve the “small number of items”. It also said the overall customer satisfaction score for this development was 90%.

There seems to be this continuing illusion among home buyers that the government is protecting them with their inspections, occupancy permits, etc. Nothing can be farther from the truth.

I simply don't understand why people tolerate poor construction and don't say anything--even worse, why they rate the builder's performance as good. it just doesn't make sense. It's never going to change unless more people speak out like you and Rob Godfrey.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 02:50:46 PM by Ray Koenig » Logged

"When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?"
Carl Brown
Administrator
Full Member NACBI

I will see you there!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2018, 02:48:05 PM »

Seems like the insurance company's would catch on that they are also being fleeced.

But then again they just keep raising rates.

So we all get to pay.

If it was your house wouldn't you want it done right!
Bill Warner
Administrator
Full Member NACBI

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2018, 03:24:40 PM »

It's what I call the "good enough" mentality.  Translated into "I don't care enough to give it my best."
Unfortunately not isolated to just the building industry either.

Good enough for whom? The next person who also doesn't give a damn?

So while your eyes are still glazed in awe of this lipstick covered pig you've yet to move into, please be sure to give us a 5 star rating to prove we are "good enough" to fool the next chump in our sights...

BC Warner Inspections
http://DaytonThermalinspection.com
Serving Dayton, Cincinnati, and all of west central Ohio
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: