Your Leaking House - An NACBI Affiliate
May 24, 2018, 04:45:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Watch Out Spammers, the Spam Squad is in Force!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: sad state of construction  (Read 379 times)
Carl Brown
Administrator
Full Member NACBI

I will see you there!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2018, 05:51:03 PM »

Lets put all the BAD BUILDING MATERIALS IN HERE.

https://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=utf-8&fr=tightropetb&p=florida+sink+holes&type=93427_040318

If it was your house wouldn't you want it done right!
Carl Brown
Administrator
Full Member NACBI

I will see you there!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2018, 06:05:11 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50hbq24hGIM

Ray Koenig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2018, 03:56:54 AM »

at sun city hilton head we had it all--roof problems, stucco problems, slab problems, lagoon problems, sinkholes, etc. the builder's SOP at the time that I owned a house there was first to ignore--then deny. if all else failed, the builder would insist that the homeowner(s) sign a nondisclosure agreement before they would make any "repairs". The builder put up a non-see-thru fence around the 3 sinking homes. eventually they were torn down. peretired.blogspot.com/2008/11/master-builder-strikes-again.html

Carl, I registered with JLC. I'm not sure what I can add to the forum in question other than at SCHH stucco was a big problem. there were no expansion joints around windows, and some stucco cracked there. however, there were big stucco problems other than just cracking around windows. too much water added to the stucco mix when it was applied and clogged or nonexistent weepholes seemed to be the major culprits, as far as I could tell.
peretired.blogspot.com/2010/01/pulte-propaganda.html
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 04:55:36 AM by Ray Koenig » Logged

"When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?"
Carl Brown
Administrator
Full Member NACBI

I will see you there!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2018, 07:32:02 AM »

Please tell them about all of the problems, they think of themselves as the top pick of the best!!

THANK YOU!

Ray Koenig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2018, 01:25:54 PM »

it looks like some glitch... I successfully registered this morning; but, can't login this afternoon. reset the password (the website recognized my email address)--but, still no go. ... once again the magic genie has urinated on the pillar of science.

Ray Koenig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2018, 02:27:56 AM »

peretired.blogspot.com/2015/11/a-comment-from-hondo.html

peretired.blogspot.com/2011/04/stucco.html

« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 02:38:16 AM by Ray Koenig » Logged

Carl Brown
Administrator
Full Member NACBI

I will see you there!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2018, 10:02:39 AM »

Ray,

So wrong in so many ways.

Ray Koenig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2018, 10:37:27 PM »

Carl, do you have theories as to why the stucco on this house failed catastrophically--suddenly, after 8 years? one day it looked OK--the next day this: http://peretired.blogspot.com/2011/04/stucco.html (I have the original photos that I took on my laptop. I haven't yet figured out how to post them here.) I can tell you that in addition to no expansion joints around windows that lab tests of samples taken from other houses showed large voids in the stucco created by way too much water in the original mix. also, in many houses, weep holes at the base of the wall that were supposed to drain moisture between the stucco and plastic sheathing behind it were either buried, clogged with stucco or, in some cases, nonexistent.  mygifimages.blogspot.com/2018/05/stucco.html

« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 11:30:44 PM by Ray Koenig » Logged

Ray Koenig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2018, 06:09:40 AM »

fast forward to the present...
too much rain, too much roof, not enough gutter...
http://peretiredgoodbadugly.blogspot.com/2018/05/too-much-rain-too-much-roof-not-enuf.html

Carl Brown
Administrator
Full Member NACBI

I will see you there!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2018, 08:57:41 PM »

Ray,

Did they use a premix factory blend stucco basecote? AKA. Onecote stucco!

Do you know how long they let the basecote cure before the acrylic finish was applied?

Your gutter problem I bet the buried drain pipe is full of dirt and or collapsed.

Carl Brown
Administrator
Full Member NACBI

I will see you there!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2018, 09:14:02 PM »

On a day it is not raining put your water hose in the gutter and see how much comes out the buried drains.
Careful on the ladder or get a wand that some use to clean gutters and do it from the ground.

pm me your # I will call you on Friday if that is ok!?

Ray Koenig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2018, 01:05:05 AM »

Carl,

I'm pretty sure that the stucco was a premix--just add water--and they did, and did, and did, and did...
as for curing time... they were turning out houses like Carter turns out little liver pills! "curing time? what's that?!?"
it's amazing how a tried and true building material like stucco, that's been around for thousands of years, can be so abused by some builders today.

as for my gutter problem... after the builder told me that the plastic pipe wasn't buried (when my photo shows that it clearly is) and that the washout wasn't their problem, despite the fact that we bought the house 6 months ago, and it has a one year warranty, I got the picture--that the builder is stiffing us. I cleaned up the washout mess on my neighbor's driveway and dug up the buried outlet end of the plastic pipe. VOILA! problem fixed! no obstruction--just buried. then I updated the post on my personal blog: peretiredgoodbadugly.blogspot.com/2018/05/too-much-rain-too-much-roof-not-enuf.html

common sense is rare indeed among some builders today. that leaves us homeowners to fix their messes. being a paying customer and a 70+ year old senior citizen doesn't get you much these days!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 01:18:19 AM by Ray Koenig » Logged

Ray Koenig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2018, 03:29:18 AM »

Ray Koenig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2018, 05:56:45 AM »

"America's economy has a growing labor crisis -- a shortage of skilled construction workers. These men and women -- carpenters, plumbers, electricians and masons -- put a roof over your head. They're getting harder and harder to find, at a time when ... they've never been more needed."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/labor-shortage-a-new-blueprint-for-americas-construction-trades/

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: