Your Leaking House - An NACBI Affiliate
September 20, 2018, 09:30:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Watch Out Spammers, the Spam Squad is in Force!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: standing water in crawl space  (Read 1298 times)
Bill Warner
Administrator
Full Member NACBI

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2018, 12:10:45 PM »

Your photo by the way is GREAT!
An excellent and undeniable illustration.

BC Warner Inspections
http://DaytonThermalinspection.com
Serving Dayton, Cincinnati, and all of west central Ohio
Ray Koenig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2018, 01:58:58 PM »

They also need to a lot for a minimum 4" distance between your veneer and final grade... more if you're going to continue to have mulch around the perimeter. Nice invite for insects and moisture into your brick veneer weep holes as it sits currently.

Bill, it looks to me like the mulch on the top is about 1 course, + or -. with the ground and another course of veneer below that, then concrete block. is the 4" distance measured vertically or horizontally? I'm not quite getting the picture.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 02:16:32 PM by Ray Koenig » Logged

"When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?"
Carl Brown
Administrator
Full Member NACBI

I will see you there!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2018, 04:18:13 PM »

Vertical

If it was your house wouldn't you want it done right!
Carl Brown
Administrator
Full Member NACBI

I will see you there!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2018, 04:18:53 PM »

From the ground to the bottom of the wall.

Bill Warner
Administrator
Full Member NACBI

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2018, 04:43:08 PM »

Any masonry veneer should have a separation of at least 4 inches from (above) the soil. All other siding materials should be minimum 6 inches ABOVE the soil grade.
The last photo you posted has your veneer below the mulch AND soil, and likely puts your weep holes at least 4-5 inches BELOW or most likely buried.... if there were even weep holes installed...

BC Warner Inspections
Carl Brown
Administrator
Full Member NACBI

I will see you there!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2018, 05:00:22 PM »

Will they just offer to put a sump pit and pump in?

Or will they haul off tons of dirt and install new sod and RE- landscaping?

Ray Koenig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2018, 06:54:41 PM »

Any masonry veneer should have a separation of at least 4 inches from (above) the soil. All other siding materials should be minimum 6 inches ABOVE the soil grade. The last photo you posted has your veneer below the mulch AND soil, and likely puts your weep holes at least 4-5 inches BELOW or most likely buried.... if there were even weep holes installed...

I have no reason to believe that all of the veneer isn't the same as what I saw when I dug the (random) hole. the bottom of the veneer is one course below the ground line and two courses below the top of the mulch. as far as weep holes are concerned, I didn't see any per se, but I have no doubt that water is passing through the block--not from the inside out, but rather from the outside in. from the crawl space it's easy to see that the inside (crawl space) side of the block wall is soaked.

Will they just offer to put a sump pit and pump in? Or will they haul off tons of dirt and install new sod and RE- landscaping?

I haven't been told yet what they're going to do. I'm guessing that they're only going to regrade outside, which will require excavating tons of dirt, new sod and new landscaping. I suspect that they will place some of that excavated dirt at the outside walls. the rest will probably be pushed beyond the back of our lot to common space where excavated material from earlier construction has been spoiled. while there's a lot of fragmented shale below, in the crawl space and around the house is stiff clay.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 07:07:14 PM by Ray Koenig » Logged

Carl Brown
Administrator
Full Member NACBI

I will see you there!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2018, 07:09:14 PM »

From the way your plot picture looks to me anyway they need to do the whole subdivision.

Ray Koenig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2018, 07:33:15 PM »

From the way your plot picture looks to me anyway they need to do the whole subdivision.

The sad thing is that it's a beautiful location. at the base of Massanutten Mountain with beautiful views of the Blue Ridge mountains to the east and south and the Allegheny mountains to the west and north and the town of Strasburg below. good floor plan for a retired couple like us--everything on one floor, spacious, 2-car garage, etc.

the problem was in the execution. beautiful oak wood floors, but they squeak. I've been told that manufacturer instructions are glue & nail, and the builder just nailed. I also suspect problems with the floor framing--floors are soft in some spots. My description of the grading and drainage is that they look like they were done by Rube Goldberg. then there's the crawl space...

WONDERFUL location. good floor plan. VERY poor execution.

Signal Knob, Massanutten mountain. Shenandoah River is at the base of the mountain (on our side).

Strasburg VA. Allegheny mountains in the background.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 08:16:26 PM by Ray Koenig » Logged

Carl Brown
Administrator
Full Member NACBI

I will see you there!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2018, 07:40:37 PM »

Sounds like you need a IR scan of every wall,ceiling,floors.

And all of the exterior.

Do they sheet rock all of the garages ?

Ray Koenig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2018, 08:10:55 PM »

in the garage, the common block wall with the neighbor is painted. all other garage walls are dry-walled, taped, sanded and painted. no apparent problems there. no apparent moisture problems above the crawl space at this time.

Carl Brown
Administrator
Full Member NACBI

I will see you there!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2018, 08:20:49 PM »

I do like the mountains.

The only thing above the craw space that is a problem is the soft spots in the floors!

Bill Warner
Administrator
Full Member NACBI

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2018, 09:38:05 PM »

Beautiful view!
I can see why you liked it!!!

BC Warner Inspections
Ray Koenig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2018, 03:26:57 AM »

I discovered standing water in our crawl space first; but, it was our (widow) "roofmate" who contacted county building code enforcement first. she was coming up on the end of her 1 yr. guarantee and hired a private home inspector. he found water in her crawl space and she contacted BCE. they came and inspected her crawl space first, then ours. the county BCE official told us both that there were code violations and the builder would have to fix them. then two days later he told us that the county attorney (a private attorney living and working in the next county contracted by shenandoah county to represent shenandoah county) had decided that "they" were not going to issue a notice of violation to the builder.

I was ready "to throw in the towel". Jenny & I have been married for 51.5 years. after the disastrous 3rd house that we owned in SC, I said that we would never own another house again. for the next 5 years we rented. we moved 6 times in 5 years. finally, last november, when our landlord refused to fix a hole in the driveway caused by lightning, I gave up. I can't live in an unsafe house. at 71 we got a 30-yr. VA loan and we bought our 4th house.

Jenny and I are in our "4th quarter". we just want to live out our last quarter in peace. when BCE told us that they were dropping the code violation, I gave up. "you can't fight city hall." then, 24 hours later, I got back into the fray--not because of water in the crawl space, but because we were getting jerked around--time to play hardball (I don't like being jerked around). had "they" decided not to issue the building code violation, then I was prepared to go to the newspaper--just like I did in SC.

I don't know how long that we'll be here--if we're lucky and our health holds out, etc., maybe 10 years--maybe not. sometimes we have to remind ourselves that we're in the 4th quarter and that our "treasure" isn't in a house.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 03:40:05 AM by Ray Koenig » Logged

Bill Warner
Administrator
Full Member NACBI

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2018, 11:31:11 AM »

sometimes we have to remind ourselves that we're in the 4th quarter and that our "treasure" isn't in a house.
True words for those in all quarters of their lives...

BC Warner Inspections
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: